Summer Workshops 2017

Categorized Under: Latest News Dated: 02 March 2017 No Commented

Write It, Paint It, Act It! (7-10 years)

Before the curtain is raised, before the lights come on – that’s when dreams are spun. Write It, Paint It, Act it takes children to the root of the creative process: where ideas are hatched, stories are made and the stage is set.

At Write It, Paint It, Act it, children will create and develop a single story on all fronts – writing, art and performance – and build it up to put up a small work-in-progress presentation on the final day. Over the course of this workshop, the children will learn to make stories, create new worlds through art and perform their own story as a script, with characters and all.

They will be guided by a team of arts practitioners including theatre actors, scriptwriters, and visual artists.

Faculty:

Shivani Vakil has over 18 years of experience in theatre. She is the cofounder of the theatre company, hi9h-p0t-in-use-tri-an9le. She has been a speech and drama teacher at several schools in the city for about 15 years. Shivani as acted in several plays, some of which are, 12 ANGRY JURORS: directed by Nadir Khan (Jun ’16), NATKHAT KRISHNA: directed by Dilshad Edibam Khurana & Tahira Nath (Aug ’15) RAMAN BHAMAN: A Gujrati play based on Anton Chekhov’s The Proposal, among several others. Faculty includes other creative arts facilitators.

Zahra Gabuji heads all content and programming at The Pomegranate Workshop. She holds an MA (honours) in English Literature from The University of Mumbai. She also has a post graduate diploma from Social Communications Media, at Sophia Polytechnic. At Pomegranate, She conceptualizes, organizes and conducts workshops. Her sessions are ‘a window to the world’ with social, political, environmental connections that encourage children to think about the world they live in.

Ages: 7 – 10yrs

Dates: May 25th, 25th, 26th, 27th 29th, 30th, 31st, June 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th (performance day)

Timing: 10am to 12 pm

Total duration = 10 days

Per session duration = 2 hours per day

Venue: The Cuckoo Club

5AA Macronnells Compound

Next to Learners Academy school and Candies restaurant, St Andrews Rd, Near Pali Hill, Bandra (West)

Course fee: Rupees 9000/- including all materials

Shakes’ Peers! Theatre workshop (10-14 years)

Shakespeare’s ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’ meets Harry Potter (or Kung Fu Panda or The Wimpy Kid or…) in this crazy workshop. Shake’s Peers will see children invade one of the bard’s most playful works with creative ideas of their own – be it incorporating their favourite characters from movies or books, or weaving their own plots into the story to create “confusion worse confounded”!

All the world’s a stage at this workshop, where children will rescript a Shakespeare play, recast it with their own characters, build their own props, assemble their own costumes and “strut and fret their hour upon the stage” for all to see. Poor Will Shakes will be left clutching his hair, crying “Hell is empty and all the devils are here!

The workshop module includes theatre activities, ideation, scripting, creating props and costumes and finally performing their adaptation.

Faculty :

Gerish Khemani is a theatre actor, director and storyteller. He has anchored two year long multi faculty theatre programs for the The Pomegranate Workshop where the students staged adaptations of the Wizard of Oz, Rapunzel, the ancient Greek tragedy Antigone and an excerpt from the medieval Persian text – The Shahnameh. These productions have had multiple shows including the National Center for the Performing Arts. Pomegranate’s Antigone 2.0 was listed in the Mumbai theatre Guide’s top ten plays of 2016 as well. Gerish’s play ‘Ripples’ has been staged at the NCPA and as part of Pomegranate’s storytelling performance, Gerish has performed at the NGMA and Sitara Studio.He works closely with students of the IB program in theatre arts. Gerish has also directed children’s productions such as Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie, Charandas Chor by Habib Tanvir, Sammy: The Word That Broke an Empire.

He just returned from Berlin having accomplished the module 1 (October-December 2016) of the Devising Theatre and Performance course at the London  School of Performing Arts (LISPA) situated in Berlin where he deepened his artistic,  pedagogical and spiritual journey. He had received the Charles Wallace Scholarship by the British Council to pursue the same.

Sreevidya Surendran holds a doctorate from The English and Foreign Languages University, Hyderabad, India’s premier language institution, and her papers have been published in international and national journals. She works in language arts programs with various International and National board schools as part of Pomegranate’s language programming.

Ages: 10-14 years

Dates: May 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 25th, 26th, 27th, 29th, 30th, 31st, 1st June (performance day)

Timing: 10 to 12 pm

Total duration = 10 days

Per session duration = 2 hours per day

Venue: P.L. Deshpande Academy, Prabhadevi

Screen-Play! Film Making module (10-14 years)

Film is fast emerging as a quick, democratic medium through which people are finding a voice. Be it videos on YouTube, theme-based short film festivals, self-financed documentaries – the developments in video technology have enabled people – especially the youth – from all over the world find a platform to tell their story.

Screen Play is a 8-day workshop where children discover the power and potential of film – and their own creative genius with it. At Screen-Play children will watch films from all over the world, observe the world around them and the stories hidden therein, and learn the technical aspects of film making such as handling a video camera, shooting and editing their own films.

Pomegranate Student Films win accolades at International Film Festivals

Pomegranate student film Feeding Diversity shortlisted at Oberhausen International short film festival, Germany 2017

The Silenced Siren – Special Jury mention at the Norway Langesund International Youth Film Festival 2016

The Silenced Siren, won the Golden Elephant award for ‘Best Film’ in the youth category at the 19th International Childrens Film Festival of India 2015.

4 Pomegranate student films screened the National Childrens Film Festival, Jaipur 2016.

The silenced Siren selected for screening at the IAWRT Asian Womens Cinema Festival New Delhi 2016

Drum Roles, selected for screening at The Rock n Roll film festival, Kenya and Short To The Point (STTP) an international network of distribution, broadcast and promotion of short films.

3 Pomegranate student films screened at the Smile International Film Festival for Children and Youth, New Delhi, Siri Fort Auditorim 2016

One Live action film and one animation film by Pomegranate students were selected for screening in the International competition category at the ICFFI 2011

Faculty:

Zahra Gabuji heads all content and programming for The Pomegranate Workshop. She is trained in film making from the Social Communications Media course at the Sophia Polytechnic and has conducted several film making and film appreciation workshops at Pomegranate both as part of school programs as well as with independent student groups. Zahra has also conducted film making workshops as part of the 17th International Children’s Film Festival of India held under the aegis of the Ministry of I&B.

Ages: 10 – 14yrs

Dates: May 23rd, 24th, 25th, 26th, 27th, and 28th, 30th, 31st

Total duration = 8 days

Timing: 2pm to 5pm or 10am to 1pm

Per session duration = 3 hours per day

Venue: Pomegranate Workshop, Ground Floor, Kalpana Building, Next to Don Bosco School, Matunga East

Course Fee: Rupees 8500 including all materials plus service tax, swachha bharat and krishi kalyan cess @15% = 9775 Rs.

Graphic Novel Workshop! (12-17 years)

Let’s face it: the “comic book” is a serious art. In fact, there’s a term for it – The Graphic Novel: a work of fiction, presented in the format of a comic strip. Graphic Novels, whether presented in their entirety or in episodic format, whether in print or online have a wide reach and universal appeal for audiences the world over.

The Graphic Novel workshop is a Summer Workshop that is designed for Young Adults in the age group 12-17 years. The aim of the workshop is to introduce students to the art of the Graphic Novel, and provide them with the tools to create their own works of visualized fiction.

Students will explore the key elements of a graphic novel at the sessions and then work on their own stories further during the week.

At the end of the workshop, student works will be compiled in an anthology.

Faculty:

Chaitanya Modak is a comics creator working out of Mumbai and Pune. He makes comics, short stories and poems under the moniker “Wontolla”. Urban themes are a major fascination for Won-Tolla and the six titles published so far are based on experiences set in urban India such as the deafening joy in the dull thump of a Royal Enfield bullet, the strange relationship between man and a friendly stray dog or an adaptation of Tagore’s tale on education. The ingredients for the perfect Won-Tolla comic are a meaty story (backed by a ton of research) a dash of wit, wry humour, slices of life, stunning visual spreads and a memorable aftertaste left to personal interpretations.

Ages: 12-17yrs

Dates: June 3rd and 4th and 10th and 11th

Total duration = 4 days

Timing: 10am to 4pm

Per session duration = 6 hours on each of the four days

To register for the courses please mail us on pomegranateworkshop@gmail.com with the child’s name, age, parent’s name, parent’s mobile number, parent’s email id and postal address

For further details on any of the programs please call: Zahra 9820521940/Priya 9892210539

Registrations will be confirmed on payment.

All Cheques to be made out to Pomegranate Eduworkshop Pvt. Ltd. Payments can be couriered to our office (address below). In case of cash payments, the timings are 11am – 4pm, Monday – Saturday at the same address.

Ground floor,

Plot 14, Kalpana

Marubai Mandir Marg

Next to Don Bosco School

Matunga East

Mumbai 400 019

If you wish to make a bank transfer kindly let us know and we will send you the bank details.