Summer Workshops 2016

Categorized Under: Latest News Dated: 09 March 2016 No Commented

The much awaited Pomegranate summer banquet is here!

Step into the world of theatre, writing, and film making and start a lifelong passion for the arts!

We present some of our evergreen programs this summer.

See you on the other side of the exams!!

Write It, Paint It, Act It!

Before the curtain is raised, before the lights come on – that’s when dreams are spun. Write It, Paint It, Act it takes children to the root of the creative process: where ideas are hatched, stories are made and the stage is set.

At Write It, Paint It, Act it, children will create and develop a single story on all fronts – writing, art and performance – and build it up to put up a small work in progress presentation on the final day. Over the course of this workshop, the children will learn to make stories, create new worlds through art and perform their own story as a script, with characters and all.

They will be guided by a team of arts practitioners including theatre actors, scriptwriters and visual artists.

Faculty:

Vikrant Dhote who recently returned from the London International School of Performing arts, is part of various productions like Keep Calm and #ashtag (2015), by Sophia Stepf (Flinntheater), Confluencias (2014), an international theatre project devised and performed in France; Macbeth (2013), directed by John Britton in New Delhi. He currently performs in 07/07/07, directed by Faezeh Jalali which has been nominated in 5 categories at the Mahindra Excellence in Theatre Awards. Sreevidya Surendran holds a doctorate from The English and Foreign Languages University, Hyderabad, India’s premier language institution, and her papers have been published in international and national journals. She works in language arts programs with various International and National board schools as part of Pomegranate’s language programming. Advaita Mane is an Odissi dancer, story teller and public speaking specialist who heads all workshop experience at Pomegranate and Komal Surywanshi is a fine artist who works closely with the students of all of Pomegranate’s theatre productions to enable them to create visual design that will enable them to tell their story.

Ages: 7 – 10yrs

Dates: April 20th, 21st, 22nd, 25th, 26th, 27th, 28th, 29th, May 2nd, 3rd

Timing: 10 to 12 pm

Total duration = 10 days

Per session duration = 2 hours per day

Venue: P.L Deshpande Academy, Prabhadevi

Course fee – Rs 7750 including all materials

Shakes’ Peers!

Shakespeare’s ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’ meets Harry Potter (or Kung Fu Panda or The Wimpy Kid or…) in this crazy workshop. Shake’s Peers will see children invade one of the bard’s most playful works with creative ideas of their own – be it incorporating their favourite characters from movies or books, or weaving their own plots into the story to create “confusion worse confounded”!

All the world’s a stage at this workshop, where children will rescript a Shakespeare play, recast it with their own characters, build their own props, assemble their own costumes and “strut and fret their hour upon the stage” for all to see. Poor Will Shakes will be left clutching his hair, crying “Hell is empty and all the devils are here!

The workshop module includes theatre activities, ideation, scripting, creating props and costumes and finally performing their adaptation.

Faculty :

Gerish Khemani is a theatre actor, director and storyteller. He has anchored two year long multi faculty theatre programs for the The Pomegranate Workshop where the students staged an adaptation of the Wizard of Oz, Rapunzel – The Story Retold (ages 9-12 years) and adaptations of the Greek tragedy Antigone and an excerpt from the medieval Persian text – The Shahnameh. These productions have had multiple shows including one at the National Center for the Performing Arts, where Antigone was selected for staging as part of the Zest Youth initiative.  Gerish’s play ‘Ripples’ has been staged at the NCPA and as part of Pomegranate’s storytelling performance, Gerish has performed at the NGMA and Sitara Studio. Gerish has been involved with Working Title’s ‘Once Upon A Tiger’ and has acted in a number of other productions (Arabian Night, Look Back in Anger, Tukra’s dream, Three Short Plays by Ranjit Hoskote and Kachra Tales). He works closely with students of the IB program in theatre arts. Gerish has also directed children’s productions such as Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie, Charandas Chor by Habib Tanvir,  Sammy: The Word That Broke an Empire.

Apeksha Harsh holds an MA in English Literature from The English and Foreign Languages University, Hyderabad and an MA in Writing from The University of Warwick. Whilst in the land of the English, she penned the Japanese folktale based opera Kaguyahime for Operamus. She also taught creative writing to Grade 3 students at St John’s Primary School, Coventry as part of the Warwick Writing Programme in Schools (WWPS). Later, she worked with Writing West Midlands as an Assistant Writer for the Polesworth Write On! Writing Squad. Presently, she is the Head of Language Programmes at The Pomegranate Workshop.

Ages: 10-14 years

Dates: May 23rd, 24th, 25th, 26th, 27th, and 28th, 30th. 31st June 1st, and 2nd

Timing: 10 to 12 pm

Total duration = 10 days

Per session duration = 2 hours per day

Venue: P.L. Deshpande Academy, Prabhadevi

Screen-Play!

Film is fast emerging as a quick, democratic medium through which people are finding a voice. Be it videos on youtube, theme-based short film festivals, self-financed documentaries – the developments in video technology have enabled people – especially the youth – from all over the world find a platform to tell their story.

Screen Play is a one-week workshop where children discover the power and potential of film – and their own creative genius with it. At Screen-Play children will watch films from all over the world, observe the world around them and the stories hidden therein, and learn the technical aspects of film making such as handling a video camera, shooting and editing their own films.

In 2015, a documentary short made by a 16 year old Pomegranate student won the ‘Best Film’ award in the youth category of the 19th International Childrens film festival of India.

The film received a special jury mention at the Kala Ghoda Arts Festival 2016 and was selected and screened at the IAWRT Asian Womens Cinema Festival, New Delhi 2016

In 2011, films made by the children at Screen-Play and our animation workshop Bringing Life to Art were selected for the 17th International Children’s Film Festival of India (ICFFI) in Hyderabad. The Festival showcased not only films made for children but also those made by children under a separate category, with a separate panel of judges. The festival was attended by children from all over India who arrived as ‘delegates’ in their own right as part of school contingents.

The Pomegranate Workshop also conducted the Screen-Play workshop with child delegates at the Festival in 2011, 2013 and 2015.

Faculty:

Zahra Gabuji heads all content and programming for The Pomegranate Workshop. Besides an MA in English Literature, she is trained in film making from the Social Communications Media course at the Sophia Polytechnic and has conducted several film making and film appreciation workshops at Pomegranate both as part of school programs as well as with independent student groups. Zahra has also conducted film making workshops as part of the 17th International Childrens Film Festival of India held under the aegis of the Ministry of I&B.

Ages: 10 – 14yrs

Dates: May 23rd, 24th, 25th, 26th, 27th, and 28th, 30th. 31st

Total duration = 8 days

Timing: 2pm to 5pm

Per session duration = 3 hours per day

Venue: Pomegranate Workshop, Ground Floor, Kalpana Building, Next to Don Bosco School, Matunga East

Course fee – Rs 7750 including all materials plus 14.5 percent service tax and swachha bharat cess = Rs 8874

To register for the courses please reply on this email id with the child’s name, age, parent’s name, parent’s mobile number, parent’s email id and postal address

For further details on any of the programs please call: Zahra 9820521940/Priya 9892210539

Registrations will be confirmed on payment.

All Cheques to be made out to Pomegranate Eduworkshop Pvt. Ltd. Payments can be couriered to our office (address below). In case of cash payments, the timings are 11am – 4pm, Monday – Saturday at the same address.

Ground floor,

Plot 14, Kalpana

Marubai Mandir Marg

Next to Don Bosco School

Matunga East

Mumbai 400 019